Click any blue text to explore an external site for expats.
Online Portals for Expats
For Expats headed
to the US
Info for Expats About Specific US Cities
Articles about the Expat Experience
Articles about Business in America
Note that some of these sites require registration (usually free but not always) and sign-in to read full articles while others contain advertisement for the vendors who wrote them. I do not endorse the authors of these article but present their advice for your consideration.
- Internations: web site of a club for sharing experiences and connecting with expats in your city
- Expat Exchange: local information on everyday life and moving abroad
- Easy Expat: local information, job listings, guides and FAQs
- Expat Network: guides, job listings, money and health
- Expat Woman: tips for women moving & mastering everyday life abroad
- Expatriates: Browse or place free ads for properties, everyday objects, etc.
- Expat Focus: money, health and experience-based articles
- Expat Child: tips when moving a family with children abroad
- Just Landed: community and local information on jobs, property, rentals
- Expat Infodesk: how-to manual, blog and forum for expats
- Expat Arrivals: local information for newly arrived expats
- Executive Planet: Business etiquette and culture in US top trading partner nations
- AreaVibes: A web site that displays livability scores on a variety of topics to help you find the best places to live in a given area of the US.
- Area Vibes Salary Calculator: Provides cost ofliving comparison between American cities and towns.
- Expat Woman (US Information Section)
- Expat Woman (US Forum)
- Easy Expat (US Forum)
- Expat Exchange (US Forum)
- Expatriates (US classified ads)
- Expat Focus.com
- Just Landed
- Expat Infodesk
- Expat Arrivals
- Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants: Excellent pdf to download, from the US Citizen and Immigration Services
Los Angeles, California:
New York, New York:
San Francisco, California:
- Easy Expat (San Francisco)
- Expatriates (San Francisco classifieds)
- Expat Exchange (Seattle)
- Expatriates (Seattle classifieds)
- Americans Who Have Lived Abroad Reveal Their Most-Missed Foods
- Are Americans Different?: Some of what makes Americans unique -- and globalization-resistant. Richard Reeves of the Universal Press Syndicate presents a thought-provoking essay on the difference between Americans and the rest of the world.
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Eight Top mistakes expats make when moving overseas
- Expat in a New Country: Top Ten Survival Tips
- Expat Insider 2017 (Report): The latest edition of this annual report by the expat organization InterNations shows the reactions of expats around the world to the countries in which they reside. DOWNLOAD this pdf if you are already an expat or considering moving abroad.
- Expats Share Their Top 20 Tips for Moving Abroad, from Huffington Post Blog
- Fighting the Expat Blues: Five Tips for Expat Wives Abroad
- Financial Planning for Expats Moving to the USA
- The Four Stages of Culture Shock
- Five Common Relocation Mistakes Expats Make When Moving to the USA
- Frustrations and Doubts as an Expat
- Greatest Show on Earth: Edited version of an essay by the Briitish author H.L. Mencken in which he is satirically critical of Americans. Caution: the language is quite challenging for non-native speakers but worth the effort.
- How to Move Overseas with Children
- Obstacles in the Big Move: Dwellworks article for expats about to make an international move.
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind: An Economist magazine article about poverty in the USA
- Seven Things All Expats Need to Stop Apologizing For
- Ten Places for Music Lovers Around the US
- Ten Tips for Making Friends in the US
- Things You Need To Do Before You Move Abroad
- Tips for the Single Expat Woman
- What I've Learned as an Expat: by Claire Bolden McGill
- Why There is No Soccer in America: An Economist article about America's lack of enthusiasm for the sport of soccer football.
- Wonders of Germany (for tourists and expats)
- Expat Family Relationships
- The Expat Partner's Survival Guide: Web site and book review
- How to Choose a School Overseas
- Learning a Foreign Language as a Child
- The Trailing Spouse: Gender Roles Abroad
- A Fair Day's Pay: Economist article about compensation policies and company cultures
- Adjust Your Presentation Style: Richard Cook discusses how Americans can get maximum impact when making presentations in Europe.
- After the Deal: Economist article on the difficult aspect of mergers & acquisitions, after the deal is signed
- Die Amerikanisierungsfalle: Americanization of German Companies (in German)
- Are You a Star at Work?: Robert E. Kelley on what it takes to be a star at work
- The Awful German Language: A humorous American look at trying to learn German, by Mark Twain
- Death of Positioning: Mark Joyner's article about marketing in the e-commerce age
- Effect of Culture on the Distributed Workplace: Essay by George Simons about virtual teams
- Genius at Change: Social entrepreneur Bill Strickland offers advice from the frontiers of change
- German Corporate Governance: From The Economist magazine
- German Pride: An article from the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
- Godzilla Companies of the New Economy: by Kenichi Ohmae. In an exclusive excerpt from his next book, the former head of McKinsey Asia explains why amazon.com, CNN and others have achieved an almost unassailable global dominance.
- Handcuffs on the High Street: The Economist magazine explores retail marketing in Europe vs. the USA
- International Labour Organization Stress Study
- Importance of Attending Meetings: A humorous essay on the American preoccupation with meetings
- International Etiquette for Businesspeople: from Internations
- Business Etiquette Tips For International Travel: from Forbes Magazine
- Leader of the Future: Fast Company magazine explores the qualities that future leaders will require
- Managing Transformation in the New Economy: An article by KPMG
- Negotiating Tips: from FastCompany
- Overcoming Your STRENGTHS!: Why we need to overcome our strength -- not weaknesses -- to get ahead in business
- Struggling to Work with your International Team: Best practices white paper from DwellWorks. (Note: requires you to give them your email address.)
- Tips for Writing Effective Press Releases
- US-UK Relations: This is one of the most difficult intercultural relationships to understand (written before Brexit).
- Want to Move Up? Act Up!: Career counselor Barbara Moses talks about becoming a career activist
- Will Companies Ever Learn?: Judy Rosenblum's 10-point curriculum for getting smart about learning
- Wired for Anarchy: London School of Economics professor Ian Angell talks about the new economy
- Your Job is Change: Becoming a change insurgent for your company, by Robert B. Reich
- TED Talk: Where is Home: Writer Pico Iyer — who himself has three or four “origins” — meditates on the meaning of home, the joy of traveling and the serenity of standing still in this video (13:57).